Since the Senator called Cape Cod and Boston home, services and memorials have been held throughout the state. Thursday afternoon the Senator left Cape Cod for the last time in a motorcade that passed significant landmarks in Boston on it's way to the JFK library in Dorchester where the Senator was to lay in Repose for the public to view, eventually ending in a private wake and finally moving on to Roxbury for the Senator's funeral, today, August 29, 2009. His last stop before being buried at Arlington National Cemetery was at the steps of Congress where staffers, friends & coliegues applouded. On Thursday I felt compelled to be apart of this important part of history. I wanted to share it with Emma so she could someday share this story with her children and grandchildren. I quickly packed Emma's bag full of a two year old's necessities and off we went to Boston. We caught the motorcade in South Boston on Summer Street. (I will post the video on this site.) It was not much to see as the motorcade went by rather quickly at that point in the route, so fast that it startled Emma to tears. After the motorcade passed I decided to see how close I could get to the JFK library just a mile or so away from where we were. I never dreamed we would have gotten so close!
I drove right up to the front parking lot of the library and found one of the last open parking spots. I saw a line forming so I packed Emma's stroller up full of goodies for her, grabbed my camera and off to the line we went. We met a woman and her daughter, there for the same reason I was- to share History with my child. The young girl was 12 and took a shine to Emma and the feeling was mutual. It made the hour and a half we waited in line pass quickly as this young lady happily entertained Emma!




As we waited in line and dusk set in we were honored by the Kennedy Family who came out to personally thank all of us who were waiting in line to pay our respects to thier father, uncle, great-uncle & grandfather. How gracious and kind they all were, shaking hands, hugging stangers and sharing kind words with all of us. Naturally many of them took a shine to Emma and she to them. I think that although Emma didn't understand what was happening she could tell by the behavior of all around her that this was something special. I had the pleasure and honor of meeting Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Joseph Kennedy, Mrs. Robert Kennedy Jr., several of Robert Kennedy Sr's grandchildren, a few of Ted Kennedy's grandchildren, & many great nieces and nephews of the Senator. As young as many of them were they were brave, gracious and kind. We were all impressed and honored. I will never forget the small exchange of words I had with RFK JR. I never dreamed I would be able to meet a Kennedy and thank them for the service thier family has paid our country.





Around 7:30 pm Emma and I entered the JFK Library and filed in to the room where Ted Kennedy lay. I carried Emma and wispered in her ear that it was time to be quiet and she knew what to do. We were actually on CSPAN so many friends and family were able to witness our viewing. As we were about to leave the room Kiki Kennedy was personally shaking the hands of each person who passed. When Emma and I had our turn Ms. Kennedy lit up at the sight of Emma. She said, "Now who is this?", I told her that she was my daughter, Emma. She asked how old she was and I told her that Emma just turned two a few weeks ago. She told me Emma was beautiful. She then turned to Emma and said hello. Emma extended her hand and said, "Nice a meet you!" The secret service then gestured towards Kiki Kennedy to move on but she gave Emma one last smile and thanked me for coming. We walked out to a view of the Boston skyline at sunset. It was fitting for the mood we were all in. I then quickly signed a guest book and headed home, exhasted, excited and ready to share our story with all of you. Someday I will tell Emma about this day, show her the pictures and explain the significance of the event. It is my hope that she can share it with her children and her grandchildren. Below are a few more pictures for our night.




No comments:
Post a Comment