Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

Well it is my very first Mother's Day with Emma and I am excited to spend that day with her although it will be bittersweet. As you all know I lost my own mother to pancreatic cancer on October 16, 2006 so Mother's Day is a sore subject with me because it is a reminder of my loss and how much her presence is missed in all of our lives. I decided as a tribute to her on this Mother's Day I would write about our last Mother's Day together, fore it was a proud and happy one for both of us.

On Mother's Day weekend 2006 I FINALLY graduated with my bachelor's degree from the University of Maryland. My mother was a tremendous influence on me and my drive to get an education even when it seemed impossible. She encouraged me over and over again not to give up. She told me it was never to late to go back to school and finish. She was proof of that- at age 55 she went back to school herself, proudly scoring all A's! My mom supported me throughout my educational life- even when I "took time off", causing me not to graduate on time. When I came back to her later and said I wanted to go back and finish she was one of my loudest cheerleaders. So many times it seemed so hard- working full time to pay tuition, keeping up with life and going to school- it seemed like it would never end. The day finally came when I called her and said, "Pack your bags- your coming to Maryland to watch me graduate!" I will never forget her face when I came walking out during the processional- hers was the first one I saw. I could see that smile a mile away. She was just beaming. I knew I was there because of her and I wanted nothing more than to make her proud on that Mother's Day. We never could have imagined it to be our last but since it was I am glad it was that one. I can still feel her arms around me, tears in both of our eyes and she told me how proud she was to be my mother. I am proud to be her daughter.

This Mother's Day I am going to spend the day with my beautiful daughter (who my mom would have loved to pieces) planting some of my mom's favorite flowers on her grave site. I will embrace my daughter as my mother did me and I will be grateful for the time I did have with my mom.

So on this Mother's Day, for those of you who are so fortunate to still have your moms with you- love them and appreciate them. It is important because where would the world be without mothers like mine?

Happy Mother's Day Mom!
In Memory of
Marjorie Ann Casper Kolodziej
Oct. 19, 1950 - Oct. 16, 2006

Below I have posted a picture from my graduation. It was to be one of the lasts we took together.

No comments: